Position: The Technical Writer is responsible for writing and editing strategic customer-facing technical documents. This position will collaborate frequently with various coworkers within the company, including Sales Operations, Business Development, and Sector Teams.
Nature of Role: Reporting to the Sales Operations Manager activities include creating new documents and improving existing material by:
- Understanding complex technical information and product development processes contributing to the capture, and response strategy for key opportunities.
- Translating technical information into audience appropriate documentation that results in increased proposal wins.
- Synthesizes information, and offerings received from various stakeholders in order to present a single, cohesive solution to the customer.
- Identify gaps in technical documentation, and research avenues to address same.
- Improve document clarity and impact by performing reviews, editing, standardization or other changes to material prepared by other writers.
- Review published and internal materials to provide editing or proofreading service as requested.
- Work on proposals, RFPs (response for proposals), deliverables, and training materials, taking the lead on writing technical volumes when necessary.
- Prepare customer-facing presentations.
- Maintain corporate best practices pertaining to style formats and documentation retention.
- Deliver new or revised material in a time-sensitive manner.
- Coordinate with technical subject matter experts to ensure accuracy.
- Maintain and meet deliverable schedules. Must be proactive in obtaining information from multiple internal teams.
- Responsible for ensuring that all customer-facing documentation is clear, concise, and polished.
- Undertake special projects as requested by management.
- Use critical thinking skills to identify complex problems in written material in order to develop alternatives, evaluate options, and implement solutions.
Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or English preferred, with a minimum of 5 years’ of technical writing or comparable experience.
- Experience with the product development process across at least one technical discipline (i.e. mechanical, electrical, software engineering.)
- Maintain expert knowledge of the structure, and content of the English language, including the established writing styles, punctuation, and grammar.
- Proficient use of Microsoftt Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and Outlook.
- History of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously with the abilty to adapt to change while meeting deadlines.
- Experience with online, and networked document repositories.
- Capable of performing extensive research.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills.
- Practices superior communication skills.
- Exhibits proven customer satisfaction skills.
- Ability to work under short deadlines or other constraints.
- Capable of interacting with all levels of an organization.
- Able to work independently or as part of a a team.
Professional certification such as APMP (Association of Proposal Management Professionals) or PMI (Project Management Institute) and ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library.)
Capture or business development experience.
Engineering Background and/or experience with consulting or technical sales.