The Senior, Human Centered Industrial Designer adds talent and leadership to our organization. The ideal candidate will have 5 to 15 years of experience with a great design hand, outstanding leadership in product ideation/creation, a history of commercially successful products and superior communication skills. Consumer product experience required; healthcare or medical device work a plus.
Nature of Role:
Reporting to the Director of Human Centered Industrial Design and working under the guidance of one or more Project Managers, this individual will conceptualize and execute design direction in accordance with client and development team goals. Duties include concept generation, mechanical design, creating renderings, control drawings and/or models as necessary. The ideal candidate should be an innovative, creative and well-organized self-starter.
We are looking for a hands-on designer that is willing to roll up their sleeves and deliver compelling design solutions. Ximedica’s focus is on evidence based design; we use research to inform and fuel the design team and focus on human factors and manufacturing to deliver holistic product/service designs.
The designer is responsible for representing the user to deliver thoughtful design solutions, considering best practices in human factors and usability design. In this role, you will be a part of a cross functional development team considering all aspects of development to move designs thru a phased gate process towards production. As a design lead on programs you will partner and work with the engineering and research teams to strategize, guide and develop systems and products from concept thru to production.
- BFA or BSID in Industrial design
- Strong sketching skills at all levels, including rapid fire concept generation sketching during innovation sessions
- Working knowledge of human factors, ergonomics and usability best practices consideration
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Ability to generate ideas and communicate visually (through sketches and quick-thinking models)
- Energetic, proactive self-starter
- Ability to develop client presentations; including capturing the design development process
- Solid graphical and 2-D design skills for client and team communication
- Good problem solver, with a mindset toward innovation and invention
- Ask thoughtful and critical questions to inform the design process
- Mechanical aptitude and working knowledge of basic mechanisms
- The creation of presentation story boards that showcase user, aesthetic, technical and manufacturing
- Working knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes especially injection-molded plastics
- 3D CAD experience (Solidworks), Illustrator, Photoshop, MS Office
- Able to position, present and clearly communicate your design solutions during internal reviews
- Design research experience a plus
- Help to share skills and mentor other designers
- Ability to present and deliver client presentations in a professional manner
- Being recognized as a leader by your peers on the design team